Friday, April 20, 2007

Taking Fernando to hospital

Today I finally got Fernando to hospital. He always asks me every day to go for "medico" and today was no different except that he showed me more and worse sores on tender parts of his anatomy. These looked very painful and badly urgently in need of treatment. I asked the police woman on duty today to have a look, which she did and immediately agreed that a visit to the local hospital emergency clinc was called for. Of course there was no-one to take him apart from me. So off we went, just the two of us, with Fernando very happy to be out for the first time in ten days, and to be out on his own with me and no police. He gave me no problems, apart from talking to anybody and everybody who would listen.

At the hospital I was able to explain what was going on in my splendid Spanish and with Fernando's help. Its amazing how readily people accept me wondering off the streets with these kids. Once I've told them who I am they accept it readily.

Anyway we were quickly seen by a doctor who examined him and quickly diagnosed a case of scabies. Needless to say I was none to pleased for the boy's sake, but also for myself and the other kids back at La Policia. Scabies is highly infectious. The doctor told me that I was probably OK but to keep checking for any signs. So far no signs, though of course one begins to imagine the worst from the least little itch.

Anyway the good doctor wrote me a long list of instructions to take back to La Policia. He also gave me a prescription for some ointment for Fernando. Which we got for 1.5 soles at the hospital. He advised me that Fernando should shower every day and change his clothes every time. This could be difficult as he only has the clothes I bought for him.

Back at La Policia, after a stop for ice cream and jelly and coca cola, the police have promised to fumigate the place and also check the others, many of whom are away now. So lets hope thats an end to the matter.

No signs of a place being found for him in Cusco. The courts have exhausted all possibilities. They are now working with Maximo Nivel and are looking at finding him a place in a special hospital in Lima, for kids with these difficulties. Lets hope that works out, though I will be very sad to see him go and I reckon he will be none to happy either.

In the middle of this posting, Robin arrived at MN at 3 pm, put his arms around me and told me his brother had been arrested last night for shoe shining in Plaza de Armas. Shit indeed. See my next posting for more.

1 comment:

Coinneach said...

Good to read about your experiences.
It feels like a very distant and strange place.

"Then take me disappearin'
through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow."

Bobby has been touring Europe. he has no plans to be in Cusco or Stornoway.

Look after yourself.
Coinneach