Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Football Tournament

I spent the day yesterday with Basilio. We spent 2 hours in the morning together and did his homework. My knowledge of Spanish is enough to enable me to help, with the aid of my dictionary, and Basilio is such an easy boy to help and be with. We did his maths homework and then some reading. We ended with him reading a poem for me which he then proceeded to sing. Nice. He's a good singer, or at least I think so.

One other boy came into the study room to see what was going on, which Basilio was quite happy with, but when four more arrived he was not too pleased and asked them to leave, politely, which they did. They are all so friendly and just want to know whats going on.

After we finished his homework we went for a walk round the grounds, which are not extensive but big enough for a small artificial surface football pitch. We sat on the spectator benches and were soon surrounded by lots of other boys, young and old. Including Abel, whom I'd worked with last year at La Policia, and he was really pleased to see me again, and of course I him.

We played Connect 4, which the kids all love. Basilio is very good at drawing and proceeded to do a couple of drawings for me. He doesn't seem to mind being surrounded by other kids while he draws. He did a cartoon figure from memory and then one from another kids top. I think he is quite talented. It looks easy for him.

I came back in the afternoon to watch their football tournament. There are about 50 boys in the orphanage and they all got to play, young and old, in teams of 6 a side. They all have their team strips and look really smart. I reckon the pitch and the strips must have been donated.

They had a thoroughly good time. Basilio in his number 7 top played well and his team won both their games. Abel was in his team as well. I think they two have become friends since their time at La Policia together. There were chants from the crowd, ie the boys who were not on the pitch at the time. Half time drinks, team talks and all the trimmings. One game went to a penalty shoot out, most of which were saved. One goalkeeper was wearing an England goalie top. The guys who work at the orphanange ran the tournament and did the referee and linesman bit.

All in all a very enjoyable afternoon. I think Basilio was quite proud to have me there, but I did my best to share my time with the others, especially the younger ones, who thought nothing of coming over beside me and promptly jumping into my lap.

All the staff were at the tournament, including Elita who runs the orphanage and is really pleasant and friendly. They were having a winners, and losers, presentation at the end but I had to leave before it.

I took some short clips on my camera which I will put onto a dvd and give it to Elita next week so they all can see themselves playing. I don't think its possible to put clips on my blog, and putting them on YouTube would not be a good idea. I have some pics though which will be added some day.

No comments: