Sunday, April 15, 2007

Robin and Ebert

I've been seeing a lot of these guys lately. If they had there way it would be every day. But I think we have made some progress, especially on the education front.

Whenever I see them we go to Yanapay Restaurant, which is just too good a place to miss out on and they love it. It is very child centred which helps, and the music is the best I've heard in a public place and just held at the right level for easy conversation. But the best thing about it is the quality of the food and the incredible cheapness. Lunch is a 3 course affair with a freshly made large juice. It costs 7 nueve soles, and a uk pound exchanges for just over 6 soles, which is why I go so often. Three pounds for three of us. Amazing. But I must be a lottle bit more advertourous sometimes.

But maybe not as all the money I spend there goes to pay for Yuri's various projects, including the free school he runs for 50 or more kids. Anyway its a brilliant place and though I dont like corny quotes here goes : "Where from the moment you enter you feel lots of love. Where the food and drinks are artistic and fun."

Anyway to cut a long story short, I've spent an afternoon at the school, which I will describe another time but which impressed me hugely, especially as its free. In Peru all kids pay for their education, which is why Robin and Ebert only go 3 half days a week, including a Saturday morning. Today I took them to Yanapay and we met and spoke to Yuri. The boys have agreed to start going and I'm taking them for the first time on Tuesday. I hope it works out, but they are both very street wise and maybe will not find it easy to fit in. Its run by Yuri himself and a whole bunch of volunteers. Lets hope the boys don't give them a hard time.

They are both very intelligent boys and could do well with a bit of luck and some support, which I really hope they will find with Yuri's projects. They are now teaching me Quechua, which they know a little bit, because their father is Quechua. I can't cope with Spanish never mind Quechua, but how can I refuse.

Just about everytime I am out with these boys the police or security guards give them a hard time, especially if they are carrying their shoe shine gear which they are not allowed to use in Plaza de Armas. The boys of course give as good as they get, especially Robin, who will take a telling from nobody. Will get him in bother some day.

Why is it that even though they have nothing, it takes them hours to choose a pair of trainers? We eventually found ones which were to their high standards.

2 comments:

mike orr said...

Hi Don,
are you out there for a while?

Do you do this work with the boys in spanish, english or both?

impressed as always,
mike

neilandelaine said...

Hi

Just in case you don't check the Beeb Owld Scotia has gone mediterranean with 100% sunshine. Who said the sun always shines on the righteous?
Reports say the Wee Frees have thrown off their overcoats. No need for wind farms on Lewis now.

Good to see that all the kids are still around.

Qué significa cuando un scotsman aparece como ángel de la luz? Some presbyterian birling somewhere I think.

aqui no tememos nunca actualidad.

Hasta luego