Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My day in court with Fernando

I've had some exceptional days in Peru but Monday will be one I shall never forget. Of course it involves Fernando again.

I arrived at La Policia de le Familia Monday morning 10.30 to find him in a state of hysteria and distress. I've no idea what put him in such a state, but because of it he refused to go to for the medical with Jonathan and myself. After about half an hour I had managed to calm him down, or he just calmed down with exhaustion. By this time Yuri had arrived for a visit and the police agreed we could take him to hospital. The emergency dept sent us to the dermatological unit but they had closed at 11.00. So no medical exam or anything else for him. His skin is still a mess and still no doctor, a week after I first asked. You just have to get used to the way of things here and not get frustrated or upset. Which for me is not easy. Yuri helps to keep me calm though.

Because of the disappointment I asked Yuri to come with Fernando to buy some shoes and clothes for him. He is well pleased with his new outfit, which he likes to show off for my camera. Yuri got some special soap, shampoo and a couple of anti-histamine tabs for him, to ease the itching. When we got back to PF we persuaded them to let him use their own shower, and for the first time in weeks he was nice and clean and had shoes to wear and new clothes. He was dead chuffed, as they say in Sy.

I'm rambling on here. Just before I was about to leave we were told that he was due in court at 2 pm and that I could accompany him. As soon as he heard that there was no way out for me, not that I would have wanted one in any case. In the end I was so glad I went with him. The experience for me was traumatic, so what it felt like for him is a mystery, though I guess he gets used to the treatment doled out to him.

We were taken in a police range rover, along with two other kids who had no-one to support them, from what I could see. The first building we went to was a quick visit where some papers were signed. No explanation given to me or Fernando. We were then taken to another building, the court house I assume, where I quickly realised we had been abandoned by the police and left on our own. We were not told they were leaving us and again no explanation given to him or me. I think he must be used to it.

The first guy we met spoke a little English and told me how well his son was doing working in London. He said little about Fernando, except to say he was schizophrenic, which from my knowledge of that illness, he definitely is not. But maybe he uses it as some kind of generic word encompassing all possibilities. He moved us on to the next guy, again without explanation. Maybe they all thought I knew enough or too much.

This chap seemed to be the one making decisions and once my Spanish ran out, which under all the stress it did very quickly, ( not at all like speaking Spanish only, in my class, which Claudia insists is good for me, and who am I to argue), I had the brilliant idea of asking him if he would phone Heidy at Maximo Nivel, as she knew all about the boy. He then said he would try to find an interpreter but as no-one was immediately available he called Heidy from anther room. She comfirmed all I had told him about the boy and made some suggestions as to where he could go and asked for psychriatric assessment and treatment if appropriate. Who pays is another matter altogether; but lets take one step at a time.

After all this they told us they had no place for him in any case as all options appear exhausted. Heidy is investigating a place she thinks might take him. He allowed me to speak to Heidy and she comfirmed the police had left us there and would not be coming back for us. So then the court had to phone La Policia de la Familia to take him back and I was asked to take him in a taxi and pay for it. Which was nice of them. We were accompanied back by a court security man, and I'm sitting in the taxi thinking if this guy asks me to pay his fare back to the court, I'm very suddenly going to have find myself with no money left after paying the trip there. Its not the cost that bothered me but it just felt wrong. Fortunately he did not ask. Lets hope he doesn't get round to reading this.

All of this time Fernando sat on my lap, and though he is not a heavy weight, three and a half hours on a hard chair with him in my lap was not easy. At one stage, when we had just been left to sit and wait he fell asleep in my arms, and I just did not have the heart to move him. He is such a brilliant wee boy to help. I wish I could do more for him, but I'm so glad to have been there for him on Monday, even if my presence didn't affect the outcome much, we have made a little progress.

I won't say anything about the interpreter, except that she was very pleasant and helpful. I told her that I would like someone to explain to Fernando what was going on, which she did. She thought somehow that I was going to take him off their hands.

They have agreed to keep Heidy informed of developments and will tell us next time he is due in court and will let then me accopmany him to his new home. I have spent the last two days talking to him about it and trying to make it a positive experience for him. I get him to draw pictures of the new house. In answer to what he would like there he says he would like a papa (father here in Cusco). When he draws his new house he puts a drawing of him on one side and one of me on the other. We practice his writing skills, which are not great but could be easily improved. He wants to go to school when he moves.

Enough for now. I hope you all noticed I made three postings on Sunday. It's my day of rest and worship.

No comments: