Sunday, April 08, 2007

LIMA

Lima is a bit like Glasgow, but poorer, lots poorer. I spent a day there on Friday. My guide was Richard, who couldn't speak any English. Great fun trying to communicate, with my limited Spanish and his even more limited English. However we managed to get by and have a laugh.

It was Easter Friday of course and all the places we tried to visit in the morning were closed. La Plaza de Armas, where the cathedral and presidential palace are located, was absolutely packed with people trying to get near to the cathedral. Presumably for the service. Peru is a very religious country and they take all these things very seriously. Not like us ex- presbyterians. It all seems a bit overpowering. Anyway we couldn't get near the place, so had to give up on that.

Richard left me to my own devices at midday and I spent three hours walking about and eating. Walked all the way to the beach and watched the surfers for a bit.

He came back for me at 3pm, but this time with his pal Edouard who could speak English. We drove down the main highway that takes you to Chile if you keep going on it. We visited a pre Inca site called Pachacamac about 31 km south of Lima. We saw where the virgins prepared themselves for sacrifice, which is still as it was in their time. Edouard wondered if these are the same virgins as are promised to suicide bombers. I had to stop him asking the guide, we had meantime picked up for free. Altogether an incredible site. The Wari people were eventually conquered by the Incas who built there own temples and pyramids on the site. The Peruvians are still excavating.

The boys took me back to my hotel and I treated them to a wee drink, seeing as they were so freindly and kind to me. They want me to come back to their weddings!

Will put some photos on here when I get round to it. Must go now as Miller is waiting for me to go for a wee tour. Have to take it easy as altitude takes a lot of getting used to. I start my Spanish classes at 8 pm tomorrow, and then go to La policia de la familia, where I'm told Fernando awaits, unless he has escaped again.

No comments: