Sunday, December 04, 2011

Sunday morning in Cusco

Another beautiful sunny day in Cusco. Wonder what the temperature is? Must be quite high, well into 20s I would say. So will have to go out and enjoy the sunshine. It's Sunday morning and sitting in Maximo, which is surprisingly empty right now. I think everyone goes out on Saturday nights to discos and such like and they don't get home till dawn or later even. Ahh well nowadays I prefer the early night and early rise, to enjoy the early morning pleasure of Cusco. Too many earlies in that last sentence, but what the hell.

Speaking of good English reminds me that my Spanish is coming along nicely. One day I hope to be able to write in Spanish for this blog. I could do so now but it would not be good for those of you who are not privileged to speak that fine language, and it would not be good for the native Spanish speakers to see their language messed about by me. But one day I will try. I'm by no means fluent but I can hold a good level of conversation so long as people speak nice and slow for me. 

I was out with my pals Fernando, who comes from Lima, and Ricardo who is Brazileno, from Sao Paulo, and neither of them speak English, but was able to survive for three hours or more, with a little help from them, so felt quite pleased with myself. Sao Paulo is the biggest city in South America, and apparently, according to Ricardo has a bigger population than all of Peru. But I've not checked his facts. Anyway Sao Paulo is huge and I hope to visit it someday soon, once I've finished with DWP.

Lima is the biggest city in the world built on a desert, although maybe Cairo is bigger. Who really knows? Fernando says Cairo is bigger but  Wikipedia says the reverse.One region of Peru, called Loreto, mostly  made up of forrest, is bigger than Germany and France combined. So Peru is a big big place and most of it sparsely populated.

No comments: