Thursday, December 15, 2011

Last post from Cusco

Its Thursday morning here in Cusco and it's my last day. I've not been to work this morning so hope all my boys are doing ok. I will miss the lot of them. It's not easy sometimes listening to their sad stories and I often wish I could do more to help them. I will as usual remember them all and think about them and their future lives. The lucky ones will find a good orphanage to settle down in and maybe their lives will be totally transformed. One can but hope.

I'm sitting in Maximo Nivel as I write this and wondering if I'm going to be able to come back here. I sure hope so but will have to wait and see what transpires over the next year or so. Maybe Peru will be a better place to live in than Europe, if the economy there goes down the pan, never to come back up again, if its not already done so.

The statue of Túpac Amuru (see my foto) is in The Plaza de Armas, and is new since I was last here. The fountain was always there but he wasn't. Or at least not as far as I can recall, though memory does play funny tricks on one as one gets older, not that I'm old of course.

Túpac was the last leader of the Incas and lead the last battle against the Spaniards. The Incas lost of course and Túpac was beheaded in the same place as his statue now stands. Or nearby. His last words are said to have been " Mother Earth witness how my enemies shed my blood." The Spaniards had of course tried to convert him before killing him. He obviously resisted their invitation.

I'm off for my final feed at Granja Heidi, so see you all in Lima, where I'm heading tomorrow.

No comments: