Sunday, December 11, 2011

Stoke City for Champions League

Another mighty victory for Stoke City today. That puts an end to Spurs unbeaten run. Next year the boys will play in the Champions League, I have no doubt. Someone will have to sort out these Spanish teams, don't you think. Can Barca or Real handle our long throws and the lanky boys upfront? No, exactly, I don't think so.

For those of you who don't know, the reason for my love of Stoke City is the three splendid, unforgettable years I spent there in the sixties, when Stoke were in the old first division, though I do recall some relegation fights  which caused some serious annoyance in the pub where I used to work.

Quite often on a Saturday morning Gordon Banks and I used to go to the same cafe in Stoke centre, near the old Victoria Ground, he to prepare for his game and me to prepare for whatever the day may bring. I suspect he fancied the waitress behind the counter. For those of you who don't know, he was the world's greatest goalkeeper at the time, and in fact probably the greatest ever. He seemed like a very friendly bloke with his funny eye and all.

And Stan Matthews was one of the best players ever. I just missed his fianl season in 1965. I once saw a friendly between Stoke and Rangers. I can't remember the result now. Stoke probably won.

So there you have it.

No comments: