Thursday, December 08, 2011

Dia de la Purísima Concepción

Today is a national public holiday in Peru so no-one goes to work, or so I'm told. The teachers here in Maximo have a day off so I've no Spanish class today, which gives me a few minutes to update my blog. Apparently Peru has the highest number of public holidays in the whole of South America, mostly of a religious variety.

I of course went to work as usual  at La Policia which was busy with six kids. Sorry to relate that Romiro arrived back this morning. He had been sent to stay in an orphanage, Jesus mi Luz, which I know, and is one of the best I've seen. However his stay didn't last long. He escaped through a window and was picked up by the police doing a spot of thieving. Not sure of what variety but doesn't really matter. This is the boy who wants to be my son, so I'm doubly disappointed in his return to La Policia. I've tried to speak to him but I don't think much gets through. He's an orphan, doesn't know his parents and does not want to live with his grandmother. Will have to see how things work out for him, but the future does not blossom with promises.

We had two brothers aged three and five there yesterday, abandoned by drunken parents. They both cried and screamed a lot, but we got them calmed down and eventually I walked them along to their medical, ably assisted by one of the policewomen. All the kids at La Policia get a medical. The centre is only two blocks away. The boys were quite happy when I left and I've no idea what became of them. This happens with lots of the kids here of course.

Two of the other boys, Julio and Kevin, have also been sent to Jesus mi Luz, and they have been asking for me to visit them. I will try to do so before I leave Cusco next week, but time is short.

1 comment:

neilandelaine said...

I think Camaclegg have plans for a La Purisima day here once we get the Big Society sorted. You'll have seen that he's told the Merkel where to get off. The british bulldog barked and the continentals laughed. Let's hope Frankfurt can knock the mighty City of London of it's stinking pedestal.

You missed what's being called Hurricane Bawbag here yesterday. (no i don't get it either) a bit of wind and he country came to a virtual halt.
Nowt else to report

Niall Beag