Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Street fighting years

I live in a street called Pasaje Zavaleta which is a dead street off Confradernidad, but Confradernidad is being re surfaced just now so it's closed to traffic. This means the taxis can't take me all the way to my apartment which is at the end of Pasaje Zavaleta, which is no problem usually, as it's not far and quite well lit.

I was walking home, not too late on Friday night, and as I approached Zavaleta I could hear loud disturbances, and as I reached saw a gang, or two gangs of youths, and some older men, who obviously should have known better, engaged in a full out fight. A little perturbing as they completed blocked the street. I could see that the fight was making its way down to Confradernidad and would soon arrive there. Maybe one lot were trying to make their escape. I knew I had to beat a retreat but couldn't work out which way they were likely to turn once they got to the end of the street. Thinking quickly as it were, this all having taken seconds so far, I decided to go back the way I'd come.

Fortunately for me they went the other way and carried on their fight along the street. Once they'd moved some distance I made my way back to my apartment. Very relieved too.

I have to walk across a railway line which cuts Confradernidad in two. It's not often in use and seems to be only for a depot of some kind. Maybe it's used more at night. I was walking along Condradernidad to pick up a taxi, and almost walked out in front of a reversing train. There was one guy stopping the traffic but no-one telling pavement walkers to hold on. It was a close shave indeed. That would have been some end, under a dirty old train in Cusco.

We've had some heavy rain here over past couple of days so I assume the rainy season is with us. The rain is usaully preceded by some loud thunderstorms. When it rains it's as if someone is pouring a bucket of rain right over your head. It's a different kind of rain to Scotland's. When the rain stops, usually after a couple of hours, sometimes more, sometime less, it gets very hot again, and the sun shines down on us all.

No comments: