Thursday, November 24, 2011

Medicine Women

There I was minding my own business having a cup of coffee in a cafe near Plaza de Armas, when this hippy couple walked in and sat down at table next to me and began to chat very loudly.

"I've met this amazing Alaskan Medicine Woman, she's truly amazing"

"Thats nice" says he

"Yes I'm so happy, she just amazing. And she's doing a world tour with a big drum. Can you believe it? And tomorrow she's doing a ceremony in Pisac" ( Pisac a market town near Cusco popular with tourists)

" I think we should go honey, it will be awesome" at this point they are joined by another couple and the amazing story is repeated for their benefit.

"And she was with an amazing medicine woman from Cusco, and they will both be in Pisac for the ceremony tomorrow. We must go it will be an amazing experience"

"It only costs $30 each to attend. Just amazing!!!!!"

Well maybe the conversation was not quite like that but pretty close, and very amazing. And they decided to go. There is indeed an Alaskan medicine woman constantly touring the world with her drum. I've checked on Google so must be true. Essentially a nice little earner,  just another business woman, pretending to heal the sick of mind.  And meantime all around is chaos.

I met and was chatting to an American woman,  maybe a bit younger than me, who has spent the last year here in Cusco studying shamanism. She's left it all behind back in USA to come here to study this bullshit. I think she saw my scepticism and gave up.

1 comment:

neilandelaine said...

I don't we should be too cocky about foreign bullshit while we have our own funded by the NHS. Shamans are shamans in any language even when they have fancy titles.

Meanwhile our wee country marches on; you'll miss the strike on Wednesday so I'll maybe light a candle to democracy in your name. For old times' sake you understand.