Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Halloween in Miraflores.

The streets of Miraflores were jam packed last night with families and young folk out celebrating Halloween. They take it very seriously here. It's much bigger than I've ever seen in Edinburgh. I haven't a clue what they think they are celebrating. But whatever it is they sure have a good time. It was hard to make my way along the pavement (sidewalk as they say in other places).

Some bands playing and lots of dancing in the streets, though not quite to Motown tunes. With all this going on outside there's a guy sitting in the cafe, obviously from UK, and what is he reading? Incredibly he's come all this way to read Jeffrey Archer's book "Paths of Glory". I was going to speak to him but decided against it when I saw his choice of reading.

Today is another holiday here in Lima. So I'm not going to Villa Maria. I've tried to phone Flor but no reply so I assume she is having a quiet day.

Che Guevara's daughter, Aleida, was in Lima last week. She's a doctor in Cuba I think. She'd come here to attend a conference. She had a few hard words to say about USA influence in Latin America, which is not for the best, needless to say. It's good to see she is able to speak out. I never knew she existed.

As well as a visit from Rod and Mick, we've had the pleasure of Pearl Jam, Aerosmith and soon Britney. It'll be RunRig next I guess or maybe Bob will decide to play for me here in Lima. Wouldn't that just be the very potatoe. Does potatoe have an e on the end? Probably not.

2 comments:

Coinneach said...

You are too old for Halloween - did you have a ghostly mask or did you nick some gates - do they have the equivalent of Donald twice in Peru.
With your Iphone etc you will be up to date with the news here - all the usual bastards - Sarkosy, Merkel,Obama and Cameron are up in arms because the Greeks might want to have a say in their future. Socrates will be turning in his grave - not the Brazilian footballer - I think he is still alive.
As you will have heard Man Utd are said to be settling for mid table mediocrity by Xmas. As Bobby said, "Money does not talk it swears" as the Spanish and Premier leagues illustrate.
We are having a very pleasant Autumn here in Fife - it really is God's own Kingdom.
Best wishes
Coinneach

Donald Maciver said...

It not being much of a crofting community, they don't have many gates in Villa Maria, and I've yet to meet a Mr Twice, though that's not to say there isn't one. As for nicking gates I think that must have been yourself and your pals, certainly not myself or my wee brother... he would never have contemplated such a thing... Man U will rise again, needless to say... though one does wish that Anderson and Nani could be a bit more Scoles and Giggs... but can't have it all ways... at least we dont have Terry in oor team..