Thursday, September 24, 2009

Spanish classes

I´ve had two Spanish teachers since I´ve been here. One called Dante and one called Julio Cesar. Which shows some one had a sense of humour or ambition. They are both fine teachers with very different styles.

Yesterday Dante was doing the old conditional with us. He asked us to say where we would like to visit. For no reason that I can remember I said Chile and that I wanted to visit Santiago Stadium.

The three people from USA had never heard of Allende or Pinochet and knew nothing about the coup etc, so they couldn´t very well argue when I told them it was CIA backed. Amazing really.

They thought I wanted to visit the stadium because the Chile team plays there. They knew nothing about the uses to which Pinochet and his chums put it. Neither did Dante. I told them about Victor Jara and his torture and death there.

Chile and Peru don´t often see eye to eye. Wars of years gone bye are unforgotten.

1 comment:

The Wicked Messenger said...

Not allowed to comment on CIA as per Green Card conditions Don but Santiago? Maybe you it was The Clash song, didn't Dick Gaughan have a song about Santiago as well?