Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lima

Its been a hestic few days. Saturday night the boys and girls at Elim had a party for me. The girls danced and some of the boys played some Peruvian music for me. Very sad to leave but they all want me back next year. Junior walked me to my taxi and we had a final chat. He promises to work hard on his English classes and wants me to come back next year, in January!!! He actually asked if I could come for Xmas, which would be nice but probably not go down to well at back at the office.

Sunday was full of excitement. Heber insisted on coming with me to the airport, which was very welcome. He changed his day off so he could come. We phoned Jeremy from the airport so that they can meet up and sort out his schooling. Jeremy is pleased he is back in touch and will do all he can to help.

We had an exciting time at the airport as my flight was delayed due to a mechanical fault. Heber stayed with me until one pm. There wasn't any point in him staying any longer and in any case he had a date for a game of footie.

Now that he has his new phone he wants me to phone every day, which I do, now from Lima, just to make sure he is safely home from work, which is usually near midnight, though some times he makes it back for 11.20 or 11.30 pm. Lucky boy. Don't know who will phone him when I leave Peru. No-one I guess. I've been made to promise regular phone calls from Scotland to him.

The flight eventually left at 4 pm, five hours late. another few minutes and it would not have been able to take off at all, as there are no flights in or out of Cusco at night; its too dangerous with the mountains all around.

A big stupid American caused a disturbance by insisting that he could see a dent in the plane. What an idiot. Shouting at the girls on the desk and trying to tell the rest of us we were all going to die. The pilot told him it was just the way the sun was shining on the fuselage.

Woman beside me told me that the president and vice never flew together and that she and her husband always took separate flights so that the children would not be orphaned in the event of a disaster. Maybe they would be better off.

The flight went ahead and we arrived in Lima unscathed. I heard the yank apologise to the pilot on his was off the plane.

Am now nicely settled in my flat in Lima.

1 comment:

The Wicked Messenger said...

Some hilarious stuff there Don, love it.