Sunday, September 20, 2009

Gilead

Thanks Gayle, you were spot on with this one. I' glad I kept it for Peru. I'm not surprised it took her so long to write, amazing piece of work. Such imagination, and knows more about Calvinism than your Dad, I reckon, though maybe not as much as your grandad.

What a great old man. And no pressure on his son to conform, well maybe just a little. Unlike things in Lewis. I think your grandad would have liked him. I will have to read it again. I wasn't too sure I understood the old man's trip to Kansas.

Her similes are beyond compare. "It was the kind of light that rests on your shoulders the way a cat lies on your lap. So familiar". And many more just as good.

I've given it to a girl I know here who I think will appreciate it lots. Funnily enough I was given another copy as a birhday present back in Edinburgh, so have that at home to read again. But its such a good book I felt it was only right to pass it on, and also makes my suitcase that bit lighter.

Have you read Netherland? It makes cricket sound like a great game, which it probably is. well worth a read. And he gives Roth a mention in an interview at the end of the book. So he has to be good guy, though your Dad won't agree. More later, must go and eat.

1 comment:

The Wicked Messenger said...

Cricket is a great game Don, better than that fitba pish. Hold on......