Saturday, September 19, 2009

Junior

It´s been a busy week here in Cusco and not had any time to write my blog. This is Saturday night and instead of going to see the movie in Maximo Nivel I´m in the computer room working away.

All the kids are really friendly, but there are so many of them its hard to get to know them all. The girls all come home from school round about lunch time and I get a kiss from them all (well maybe not all but most). One wee girl came up to me and gave me a flower. Such a cute wee thing with a big huge happy smile. It´s seems incredible to me that these kids could be abandoned like this, but then again i think of all the kids in Edinburgh and maybe its not so incredible after all. Plain sheer bloody poverty is what it finally comes down to.

But the kids are happy in Elim and loved and cared for every day. No thanks to all these banks and other scumbags. I see they´re trying to ruin us all again with their bonuses. How long will we tolerate this crap? Are we all mad? And of course its felt worse in poorer countries, and I think Peru is the second poorest in South America, or if not so near as makes no difference.

This thing has a spell check but it doesn´t seem to work for me right now. I used to be good at spelling too; old Fury would never have tolerated a spell check. Would he now boys? Please excuse any errors; they are the machines fault.

Have been working with Lalo on his Spanish alphabet. I couldn´t understand why he was so far behind until I discovered that he is a Quechua boy and couldn´t speak a word of Spanish when he arrived at Elim last year. So he is doing quite well after all. He loves to skip and is very good at it. I have him on video skipping for me along with Jose Luis.

I´ve been doing a bit of English with a boy called Junior whom I first met in La Policia a couple years ago and then again in Elim last year. He´s a bright inteligent boy, who has had a difficult life here, like all these street kids. He´s a brilliant musician and plays lots of instruments. He´s also a suberb footballer who has the good sense to support Manchester Utd. Though I suspect this is down to our boy Ronaldo. He tells me he wants to be a professional footballe. I think he has more chance to make it as a pro musician. In the UK he would get so much support he would make it.

We were having a chat a few days ago and he was asking me about Heber and if he was still going to English classes. To cut a long story short I spoke to Jeremy and agreed to pay for his English classes at Maximo Nivel starting in October. When we told him he was speachless, and came over to me to give me a big cuddle. I had to fight back the tears to be honest.

He came to speak to me later and told me that at the concert on Friday " es para ti estoy tocando el viernes" which means, essentially, it´s for you that I will be playing on Friday. And that´s enough thanks for me.

I will put a photo on the blog some time soon.

No comments: