Sunday, November 07, 2010

San Antonio

I've started work in an orphanage called San Antonio in a district of Lima called Callao. Callao is the port for Lima, but is also a huge district, which extends for many miles, I think the airport is also in Callao. It's nearer to my apartment and a lot cheaper for me to get there than it is to get to Villa Maria.

San Antonio is run by INABIF, which means essentially thats its a government run orphanage.So I'm working with INABIF in two locations now.

Its the best run orphanage I've been to in Peru. Light years ahead of Hogar de Cristo. Which incidentally has now also been taken over by the government. So no more involvement by that Martin chap.

I will be working there on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings till about 12.30. Will be working with the older boys helping with homework, playing games and stuff. They like the fact that I speak Spanish with them. Lots of volunteers can't speak the lingo. It makes a huge diference, in so many ways.

I think I'm going to like working there, just getting to know the boys now. They go to school in the afternoons, but are in the home all morning.

Thanks to Ana Lidia for arranging my placement at San Antonio. http://www.tarpuysonqo.org/

No comments: