Saturday, November 27, 2010

A fugitive

Met this chap who insisted on giving me his life story. Don't know why he thought I would be interested. Turns out he is a fugitive from Dutch justice. Not a big criminal, just stole from his own company he says. Reckons it was justified as his fellow director had stolen too and company was about to go bust.

I used the excuse that I didn't like his smoking and that I was busy to make my getaway. He says he wants to do voluntary work too. Didn't want to tell him what I do. He reckons he can go to Tanzania now. So good luck to him.

Was having breakfast in my hotel this morning. Couple at table next to me, middle aged, like me, were having lots of early morning fun over breakfast. Don't understand why they couldn't have taken a wee break over the croissants. The lady found everything he said to be totally hilarious, had that kind of silly giggle, which was ok at first but eventually grated. Told them to put a sock in it. No I didn't really, but felt like it. Eventually they left and headed off presumably to resume intimacies in more private setting.

Peace to have one more cup of coffee for the road, and read some more about The Savage Detectives, which I've just about finished, some of you will know it's quite a hefty read, and I read nice and slow. Best way to read and take life nowadays. It's a terrific read, not like any other book I've ever read. A genuine original and well worth the effort. He died all too young did Bolano, I think he was only 50. Sad.

No comments: