Friday, November 19, 2010

More of San Juan

I know that so called life changing experiences are easy to come by these days, and at my age one just does not expect to have anymore, not that I'm saying that I'm old or anything like that, far from it indeed, I will have you know. I've been coming here so often now that I get to think I know it all, and that maybe I'm getting bored and need to go some place else, which I will do for sure eventually, but yesterday in San Juan was an adrenalin rush of a day, so happy making to be able to be there and do my little bit.

Pedro and I were there again yesterday and instead of two kids we had twelve boys and two girls turned up late. I've seen documentaries about these kinds of places, but it's just not the same until you are there. It's not a place for tourists or such like and definitley not for going out alone. But I'm well looked after by Pedro, sometimes he seems too protective, but he knows the place, and he's a great guy to work with. I owe him a lot for letting me see these places and letting me work with him. Thanks Pedro.

We spend about 45 minutes wslking round the streets which are teeming with people, getting up to all sorts. Everyone seems busy doing something or other. God knows what, but it's certainly never stop.

The streets are mostly given over to markets, if you can call it that. All the stuff is laid out on what there is of a pavement and then into the road. It's truly incredible to behold, but then I get so used to it that it just seems normal. And you can buy everything here. Every variety of potatoe you can imagine,Peru of course being home to the tatty. Though I've not seen any kerrs pink here. Maybe you only get them in Stornoway. Vegetables of all kinds, giant pumpkins, onions galore, carrots, you name it its here somewhere. There's stalls selling meals of all kinds, just wee stoves with some kind of stew bubbling away. There are birds in cages for sale, cats all over the place and of course a thousand dogs.

Then there's the kids working with there mothers mostly looking after the produce and stuff. They've got to know me now, at least a few of them have, and they coming running out and jump up on me to give me a hug and get allowed to come along. They show me all they want to do, homework if they have any and off we go. The mums know me too now, but it's still kind of strange having all these kids to look after and following us around as we collect more. It's an truly life changing and I think yesterday was just about the best day I've had this year, with them.

The place we take them to in San Juan is part of a church complex with a some school buildings too. We have been given a room there, well INABIF have been given use of a room there. It's quite small but ok. We need to buy a couple of tables and some chairs for the place, so I've made a donation of about $120 to cover the cost of that. It's not a lot for all that they give me.

I've been told to bring some lemonade next week by one of the boys, so will do that on Tuesday. Pedro and I are hoping to get them to a cinema some day soon. All for now, I'm tired. Excuse any spelling mistakes or any other errors, for those of you who worry about these things.

No comments: