Friday, September 22, 2006

Vladimir & Denis

Working at Colibri is great fun. The boys are boisterous and the girls sometimes moody, but all so very friendly. They all give me a hug and a the girls give a wee kiss on the cheek, which is nice. Personal space is not a concept that the Peruvians seem to have any truck with, and it took me a few days to get used to the fact that all the women expect a cheek to cheek greeting. Am getting better at it now, but its not something that comes naturally to us from the UK, except maybe in families.

Denis and Vladimir (yes I know, and he even looks like him, just a wee beard and he's there)are two brothers who come to the class regularly. Denis is about 8 and Vladimir is about 11,and looks out for his brother so well. They are both quite bright boys, if a bit unruly at times. Denis was wearing a complete new outfit last night and looking very smart.

When I left last night they left with me and walked down from Colibri, down Calle Suecia to Plaza de Armas with me, on their way home. It just feels so good to have that level of acceptance in a totally new culture. We were able to chat a little about where they live and what their plans were for next day, which is a special children's holiday here. I was invited by all the kids to join their school outing to Pisac but unfortunately I could not accept as I'm otherwise engaged, which was a real shame as I would have loved to have gone with them. Lolita could not go either, as they did not tell us about it till too late.

I feel more at home here evry day. The pub and restaurant owners in Calle Suecia see me passing twice a day on my way to and from Colibri. Some of them like to chat and they know what I do here and ask me how its going. There are lots of street traders on my route too and an old lady who walks about with her llama and asks meto take photos; at a price of course.

Its 9 am and I have to go and get some money changed as I ran out last night. Elena, the volunteer co-ordinator and I are off to visit an orphanage where Fernando spent 4 years to try and find out more about his background. Thelady who runs the orphanage knows him well and is fond of him.

The police have not been very helpful and have not kept any of their promises to keep us informed. Elena had to go to the court to get more information and fortunately met a decent woman there who told her about the orphanage and gave her the contact there.

More later and a fashion parade at the PF as well as playing snap on the stairs in the police station.

No comments: