Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Reiki Experience

This is strange but true. I had been feeling a bit unwell over last weekend (nothing serious, just a bit of a cold) but was well enough to carry on as usual. I'd just finished my Spanish class and was heading out for some Peruvian sun before it set for the day and I headed off to Colibri.

Who should I bump into but Stephanie, whom I've not mentioned before, but who is a really nice friendly lassie from Australia via Germany. She speaks excellent Aussie English with a German accent. Most endearing. Anyway I'd spoken to her a couple of times previously at the College and I liked her a lot.

On this particular occasion we did literally bump into each other at the bottom of the stairs. After exchanging the usual pleasantries she looked at me a bit funny as it were, and asked if I was ok. I explained about feeling a bit off colour over he weekend but was getting better and should be ok tomorrow. She asked if I'd tried any alterntive medicine, which I have not, other than a few pints of beer over the years and the occasional alternative substance.

Well anyway its turns out that Stephanie is a qualified reiki practioner, amongst other things. She said that she could feel I was unwell because of the powerful force she was getting from me. I kid you not. Not wishing to upset my new friend I continued with our conversation as if nothing unusual had been said. She was very insisitent that she could feel these forces or vibes or whatever they are called, and that she was concerned for my well being, and indeed she did look quite worried.

We continued to talk about reiki and other things and she told me that she would feel bad if she did not offer to do some reiki massage to alleviate my situation, and well one thing lead to another and I agreed to have some reiki massage. This you have to understand was as much so as not to upset Stephanie as anything else. i told her that I was a total sceptic and aethiestic to boot. This didnt seem to maater too much as reiki works whether or not you are a believer. Which seems like the best of both worlds. Just like a justified sinner.Perhaps.

So there we were at the end of this corridor in college in Cusco, behind a noticeboard and mostly out of sight. Reiki does not require any undressing. Its all to do with powerful life forces which need to be controlled and redirected somehow. If you want to know how it works you will probably have to study it for a few years, but if you do not have the time you could google it.

This I must say was a most odd experience, and I remain sceptical, though maybe not quite as sceptical as before. It all lasted about 20 minutes and mostly involved her moving her hand in a massage like way just in front of my chest. She claimed to feel all sorts of forces moving about and leaving me through her. I seemed to give har a bad headache at one stage.

Afterwards I felt kind of light headed but this is probably due to the unlikeliness of it all. We remain friends and have spoken couple of times since and are even considering a repeat performance in more appropriate circumstances.

I need to go home now. Just back from Colibri where things continue to go well.

Tomorrow Elena and I are going to meet some one who knows more about Fernando and hopefully Elena and I will get to see him next week. More at weekend when things are clearer.

No comments: