Sunday, September 17, 2006

Colibri more

Sorry about that but got called away rather abruptly this morning. So post was not checked for mistakes etc, but still makes sense.

Am just on my way to PF and called in at Maximo Nivel to check the results. Oh dear me got that one wrong, but never mind its early days yet. And anyway Hibs won.

Teaching at Colibri is great experience and very enjoyable, especially with such great kids who obviously want to learn. Having said that they are not an easy bunch to control but we get there ok. Lolita is good with them and I get lots of ideas from her. I generally help the boys at the back of the room. Why do boys always sit at the back? But more and more the girls are asking me to correct and help with their work so thats really nice.

Lolita teaches them "to have" minus the "h" so its you 'ave and 'ow are you etc? The kids might think I've given them a new verb when I start teaching on my own. Its a bit like that French Resistance comedy set in a cafe, can't remember the name, but I'm sure you will know the one. She is going to teach French in Puerto Maldonado in a couple of weeks, which was my strart off point for the rainforest last year. I dont know what the demand for French is in the rainforest but there must be some.

PF last night was its usual busy Saturday night.18 altogether, including 5 under age of 11. I brought them bread rolls, apples and chocolate, all which went down well. They also had rice pudding like stuff for their meal. Cooked in that kitchen I told you about. My cooker has arrived but not been fitted in yet, maybe tomorrow.

Because the older boys were hogging the table we had to play our games on the floor. When Fernando saw me sit down he immediately went for a blanket off one of the beds for me to sit on. He made it into a cushion for me and stuck it under me. I was impressed to say the least.

The teenage boys then decided they wanted to join in and came and joined the rest on the floor. They even squeeze in and want to sit beside me. So was very pleased with that too. They seem to trust me more and more as time goes by and know that I'm not just there for a day or two. Though having said that leaving will be hard.

One of the new young ones who arrived last night, Abel, can't read or write his name either so joined in when I was doing the alphabet with F. Two of the older girls have promised to do the alphabet and their names with them this morning, so will be interesting to see what transpired. It may be that F only does it for me because he likes me so much and might not do it for anyone else. I had missed a day on Friday and he practically squeezed me to death when I walked in last night. I really hope he finds a place soon, either with his mum or a suitable placement. I'm going to suggest to Maximo Nivel that we try to find him a permanent volunteer for when I leave.

No comments: