Saturday, September 09, 2006

Alpaca stew, salsa & pizza party and a break-in

Isn't life exciting. Last night we had alpaca stew for dinner and it was most delicious. Just like the stews my mother used to make. Then I went to Colibri and helped to teach about 15 kids some English. Only one class last night because of a festival of some sort here in Cusco. I then helped to distribute powdered milk to all these kids from Colibri and more. That says enough about their lives, but I have to give credit to the police who organise it all. Children are very welcoming and friendly.

Went home to change and then off to a salsa and pizza party. Salsa dancing is most popular hereabouts and everyone seems to do it so well. But you can imagine my surprise when the party started with "Paint it Black" and "Oh Carol". But that didnt last too long. Maybe dj was making me feel at home.

This morning I woke up to discover we had a break - in overnight. Wont bore you with the details. They only stole from the kitchen, and dining room. Microwave, fridgefreezer and TV gone. Nobody heard them which probably as well. Security is being increased with a security man all night from tonight.

This morning I was at the Policia de la Familia for 2 hours. I was shown into the locked room and left there with 6 boys aged from 10 to 17. Gabriella was held up some where, and had not turned up by time I left at 12. One of the boys spoke a little English so with my pigeon Spanish we got by. Spend about an hour teaching Fernando the Spanish alphabet, for which I had bought a nice coloured chart. The other boys were happy to entertain themselves and help out with Fernando's alphabet. He can almost write his name now. Even the few times I've been helping him seems to have benefited the wee chap. I had some face paints so the older boys had fun with that. Dont know what the 4 new ones were in for, but police were back and forth a couple times asking stuff and took one away for a while.

I was with then for over 2 hours. Room was locked all the time. No food or water was provided in that time apart from the biscuits I took in. Four of them had no shoes to wear. Wanted me to buy them shoes, which I would have done had Gabriella been around. Maybe next time it will be possible.

Fernando was into "Yellow Submarine" today. He is able to shout out Yellow Submarine along with the boys and its one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time; but it makes him so happy and puts a big sunny smile on his face, its all just so sad and happy at the same time its hard to know what to say. Except the 50 quid for my mp3 player was money well spent.

I left them at 12, not because I had to, but it was all just a little too much and when your language runs out it is all too frustrating. I banged the door and a ploice woman came to let me out and let F go for a pee. As I left 3 boys pleading for shoes and telling me how little they cost.

Must go now, going out tonight with Kway all being well. She is away river rafting just now, the brave girl.

I see Man U not letting me down in my absence. XXXX

No comments: