Friday, September 29, 2006

Fernando is missing

I have kept putting off doing this posting in the hope that I had better news, but no such luck.

Fernando was taken back to his mother and step father last Monday, 18 September, by the police. Its very difficult to keep informed about what happens to the children in La Policia de la Familia, as most do not have anyone to look after their interests,and the police do not seem too keen to keep us up to date. He was not moved to an orphanage as I had previously been told.

His parents live in a place called San Salvador, which is a small town or large village about an hours bus journey from Cusco. Elena and I travelled out there on Tuesday to visit him and bring him some clothes and toys. We did not have an address for him so had to go to the police station to find out where he lives. We met two very helpful policemen on our way there and they knew at once who we meant.

Fernando had stayed only one night with his parents and had run away the next day. Apparently he took the bus out of town and made his escape, with a little money and a radio. The police directed us to his house. We met an old lady on the way there, who turned out to be his step father's mother and she then took us to the house.

We spoke to his step father for some time. His mother was hiding from us, as she had been threatened with jail if she allowed Fernando to escape again. We learnt a lot about Fernando, which helped us put together a better picture of his life, but its not for here. His step father seemed like a decent sort from what we saw.

San Salvador is in a beautiful spot on the Rio Urubamba, which is the sacred river of the Incas, and goes up to Machu Picchu. I followed it last year for part of the way on the Inca Trail, through the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu. However not much use in a sacred valley or river for a troubled young boy like Fernando. His house sits right on the bank of the river, but it gave me no joy to be on its banks this week. I will put some photos of San Salvador on here next week.

Since then Elena and I have spent a morning going round all the places she knows about where young street kids hang out or are given a place to sleep. We did not find him but did make one contact who sugested an orphanage to call. Elena phoned there on Wednesday and was told that Fernando had been picked up by the police there on the Tuesday he left home. He spent a night in the orphanage but then ran away the next day. This is in a town called Sicuani, which is half way to Puno on Lake Titicaca. He has not been seen or heard of since then, which makes it 9 days missing. It gets very cold here during the night. Needless to say I am very concerned for his well being, although at the same time i do know that he is very resourceful for a 10 year old, and knows how to survive. But still I am worried and upset.

Elena and i are going out tonight at 9 pm to go round all the places where street kids go at night and also take a picture of him to show to other street kids. However I somehow dont think we will find him. I suspect he may have made his way to Lima, where he did show up last time he was missing for so long.

The police in Cusco where he had spent 3 weeks did not get a report of his disappearnace until last Friday, 4 days later. They told us that they would not be reporting his disappearance to Lima police as he had escaped and was not considered to be missing as such. They seem to draw a distincion between kids who "esacape" and those who go missing without any previous history. How they can be so casual about it is beyond me. And I'm being circumspect with my words, t osay the least.

Elena is doing everything she can to track him down and checking with all her contacts. We will need to report to Lima Police ourseleves I reckon.

So thats the story of Fernando to date, at least as much as I want t osay on here. Keep your fingers crossed that he turns up over the weekend. I miss him a lot. he gives me sleepless nights. I just hope he is found safe and well and that I see him again before I leave here.

No comments: