Saturday, September 02, 2006

A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN CUSCO

Its Saturday morning and am sitting in the internet room at the College I will be attending. I will have free use of this computer room for the six weeks I'm here, and its open 8 to 8 everyday. So no excuse for not keeping this up to date I hear you say. It is a bit harder as its all in Spanish and I can't seem to get Blogger with English instructions at all, even though I can get Google in English. But it will all help with my Spanish, so thats ok. Have been using my "poco Espanol" already and its amazing how much has been retained by my old brain. Start my lessons on Monday with a test of my level of knowledge so far and they will then know which class to place me in.

Flight over the Atlantic was uneventful. I slept most of the way, listened to Modern Times on my nice new MP3 player, which was a very sensible purchase indeed. Most exciting thing that happened was at our refuel stop in Bonnaire, where I got talking to a bunch on new agers from Denny and Falkirk who are on there way to Machu Picchu to look for a shaman they heard about. Hope they find him though I think it unlikely but didnt want to spoil there fun by telling them so.

It took an hour and a half to get though immigration at Lima and was a bit worried my pick up driver would not wait. But he did of course and my luggage arrived along with me which was a bonus. Driver spoke English a bit and couple who run hotel both spoke it so had a chat with them till I went to bed at 10. Slept all night. Hotel was excellent. An large old Spanish colonial house whch they converted beautifully. Very close to the Pacific Ocean. Took a walk along its shore on Friday morning. It reminded me if walking along the Broad Bay shore. Funny how the sea sounds the same wherever you hear it. I got nostalgic for a bit along the shore.

The flight from Lima to Cusco was absoutely incredibly amazing. Everyone should come over just for the experience of flying over the Andes and then flying through them to land at Cusco. I took a window seat, which I dont normally do, and it was so worth it. Brand new plane Airbus A-320, so knew pilot would be careful. The sky was practically cloudfree. Took some pics which may be on here eventually. South Americans give a round of applause when plane lands safely, did so in Lima and in Cusco. I could see the point in Cusco, but they could have been applauding the Andes as well as the crew.

I was met at Cusco airport by Jonathan who works and studies English at the college. Took me to the college to meet the main folk here and got some idea as to what my volunteering will involve but will leave that for another posting. He showed me around the building and dropped me off at the Savoy Hotel. He will pick me up tomorrow morning to move me to my permanent home for next 6 weeks. More of that later.

Am very excited to be here and all the planning and time spent on my TEFL course and Spanish evening class have proved to be time well spent indeed.

No comments: