Friday, September 15, 2006

Jesus Loves Me

Its been a very busy week at La Policia de la Familia (PF). This is Friday at 6.00 pm and first chance I've had to post an entry. Have to be home for my dinner soon.

On Monday I went with Gabriella and a couple of the kids to pick up their dinner from what can only be described as a soup kichen. Its way up in hills above Cusco and the view is awesome, but the circumstances a bit grim. We were taken in a Peru Policia, Range Rover, with two police men up front doing the driving and navigating. They were playing REM on their cd player. It was a wierd experience listening to "Losing My Religion" up there and in those circumstances. Apparently this is a daily occurrence. Not REM but the soup kitchen run. The kids have to carry a big huge pot (prais mhor) and have t queue to get it filled up.

We had 25 kids in there on Monday and about the same on Tuesday night. The police picked up a group of school kids who appeared not to be doing anything more then skipping school and visiting an internet cafe. About 8 or 10 of them in their school uniforms still. They looked a bit lost and bewildered. They were then kept there overnight for what would appear to be punishment. Enough said.

By Wednesday night we were down to 16 kids. This included three 8 year olds and two 10 year olds. Can you imagine what it must feel like to seem abondoned at such an age. There were also lots of older kids, more street wise but still kids. Gabriella is so good with them and she seems able to win their respect very quickly, which makes things so much easier. She is always in her own clothes which does help.

Anyway we decided to put on a pizza party for them on Wednesday night. I went up there about 7.30 and we ordered pizza from Pizza Express home delivery service ( not the one in Morningside Road) and took in coca cola and chocalate for afters. The kids loved it even though we had no plates for them. They enjoyed eating from their hands, which are needless to say, not exactly spotless. Have some pics which might get on here eventually.

Afterwards we just sat and let them play for a bit. The young ones all crave affection and want to hold on to me all the time. Fernando does not like competition for me. The other 10 year old who was there is called Jesus, and he just spent the rest of the night holding on to me and wanting cuddles. After some time he whispered in my ear "I Love you Donald" in Spanish, of course. And I think he meant it with all his heart, even if only for that moment. I tried not to make too much of his comment but I was close to tears. As luck woud have it Claudia had just covered that verb on the same day in my Spanish class, otherwise I would not have known what he had said, as its not obvious from the verb itself, unless you know the expression of course.

So now I know for sure, and in real life that "Jesus loves me". I dont think its exactly what Rev Macaulay and co had in mind, but it feels a lot better and feels more real.

Soon after that Gabriella sent them all to bed. The boys in one room, 8 year olds and grown teenagers in one room, with no light or windows and the girls in the main room, with Fernando.

Latest on Fernando: he punched the judge last week and judge told cops not to bring him back. Apparently he does not like being hit. Fernando has lots of spirit, just a shame he can't direct it so well. Or maybe he does.

No comments: