Sunday, December 26, 2010

Xmas Celebrations in Peru

Things are done very differntly here in Peru. Most of the celebrations take place on 24th.

I went to La Policia as usual on morning of 24th and spent the morning with the boys and girls there. It's quite sad really to see these kids there. They seem quite happy but you never know how they feel inside. It must be really hard for them to tell anyone how they feel, when the whole world has let them down so badly.

The two brothers are still there, one is 4 years old and the other one is 10. They are looking after each other. I hope they find a place for them soon. There's another boy aged 6 , Juan Carlos. Not sure what his background is. He can't write hisa name and doesn't know the numbers from one to ten, so we practice that and I think we've made some progress. Yoel has promised to help him when I'm not there. So I leave him homework to do, as it were.

I decided against spending Xmas day at Elim, because there are enough volunteers staying there but more because I had an invitation from a friend to spend xmas eve having a traditional Peruvian Xmas.

Like I said all the celebrations take place on xmas eve, or at least main ones. The children get there presents in the morning and at night the adults celebrate. I spent the afternoon in Plaza de Armas, which was quite literally packed to overflowing. The square is given over to all sorts of stalls and people come to make last minute shopping. Not quite like Princes Street but same idea with less money.

Turkey and rice and potatoes and veg were served at 11.30 pm. We first had to go to a communal kind of kitchen where all the turkeys for the locality and beyond were cooked in a giant oven. We walked back carrying the steaming turkey, passing others doing the same. Turkeys taste the same here as every where else. I was given too much but was allowed to take a whole lot back to my flat in a doggie bag.

Come midnight we went outside to set off our fireworks. Where we were joined by all the locals doing the same in the street. Great fun. I got home to my bed about 1 am. Tired but pleased to have had the experience.

Xmas day was the most unusual I have ever spent. I took a taxi to La Policia and spent the morning with the kids there. Went for lunch and then got caught by the rain going back to my flat. My first soaking. Spent afternoon in my flat getting warm abd dry and waiting for rain to stop.

Xmas night was spent with some friends in a bar with live music. Band were superb, one of the best live bands I've seen in years. Will post some pics and maybe a video if I can get round to it. It was a truly memorable Xmas night, one I shall never forget. The band played for 3 hours. I eventually got home about 1.30 am. We walked back as it was such a nice night.

Such is xmas here in Cusco;

No comments: