Thursday, December 30, 2010

Street Crimes

This morning I spent chatting with two 16 year olds in La Policia. They are both there for being very naughty boys indeed. One of them has been there for five days, he keeps telling me it will be his last. So hope not to see him tomorrow. His parents are supposed to come and take him home tomorrow morning. The other boy hopes to get away too. Depends on the police of course. Enjoyed chatting to them, tried some gentle moral guidance, bit of encouragement to change their lives and think about things. They were quite happy to listen to my words of wisdom, and good to hear a bit of their life story. Life is hard for them. I like that I can speak to them reasonably freely in Spanish. It makes a big difference to all.

Met a policewoman today who remembers me from 3 or 4 years ago. She remembered my name though I forgot hers. She remembers Fernando and has promised to find out what became of him, and where he is now, if she can manage it. But of course she is busy keeping the peace here so may not see her again. But am hopeful.

Have managed to find out a little about Robin, met someone who knows him and which street he works. We went for a walk along there but no sign of him. He "works" there because it's busy and there are no cameras. I feel so sad for him. It's such a waste of a life. I doubt if he will appreciate seeing me, but what the hell, I feel I've got to try. So different from his brother Heber. He's all of 17, and not likely to change now.

I was sitting on a bench in this street where Robin works, just waiting to see if he would turn up, when these two boys, all of 6 or 7, sat down behind me and tried to pick my pockets. I was alert fortunately and no harm done. I was just amazed how young they start. I suggested they eff off, but we left before they did.

Tomorrow is the last day of the year here too, though it will arrive here a bit later than back home, about 5 hours later. We have a big celebration in La Plaza de Armas, lets hope rain stays off. Going to KM0 again and will probably bring in new year there with some friends. Plans still fluid.

One gets to meet all sorts here in Cusco. Can't make my mind up if I prefer here or Lima.

1 comment:

The Wicked Messenger said...

Good stuff, or not. I'll be bringing the bells in with you in est sir. Nearly there now!