Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Lori Berenson

Berenson has just been released from prison here in Peru having served 15 years of a 20 year sentence.

Her release has caused a bit of a stir in Lima. She's not the most popular of American citizens hereabouts.

I only mention her release because she has moved into an apartment in Ave Grau, which is just round the corner from my apartment. The locals are not happy. Especially those living in the block she is in. I would take a photo but think I would end up in jail myself, so best not to.

I don't relly know much about her case, only that she was linked to the Tupac Amaru Revolutionary Movement, MRTA, and was supposed to be helping them. They were a bit less violent than Shining Path but were operating around the same time.They used to rob the rich to feed the poor, so the story goes. They were the ones who took over the Japanese embassy in Lima, not far from here, back in 1996.

It looks as though she may be deported back to USA. She gave birth to a son in prison last year. The dad was also in MRTA, and they met in prison. Hopefully she will be allowed to take her son back to USA if and when she gets the boot.

No comments: