Sunday, June 20, 2010

Last few days here

Only three more days to go here in Peru. I can hardly believe I've been here nearly three months and how much I've done since being here. Not to mention all the people I've met and spent time with. Will miss so many people it's not possible to mention them all, but thanks to all for being such good friends and giving me of your time.

I'm meeting Heber tomorrow and will spend the day with him. He came to see me 10 days ago and we bought him some clothes etc. He's living in Villa Maria with his sister, husband and their daughter aged five. They live in one room in a house up in the Cerros,or barrios as they are called elsewhere. They have no electricity, so no tele or light or other things we all take for granted. They have gas delivered for cooking. But nothing else. He is grateful to have his own bed. He never complains about things. Not easy to share one room but he seems happy enough.

I first met him 4 years ago in La Polcia, when he was 11 years old. He will be 16 next month.I will always remember the day his mother came to tell him and his brother that she was leaving them there and that they would need to go into a home. They both cried their eyes out im my arms and ever since he has been very special to me, as has his brother. But thats another story, for another day.

He's working in a restaurant in Villa Maria, so that's good. I get the impresion that he will go back to Cusco sometime. I think his heart is there. Only problem is his brother's influence. He tells he he's left his stuff in his dad's house, where I visited him last year. I think his living conditions in Cusco were a bit better. At least he had electricity. However he has no one there to look after him.

No comments: