Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hogar de Cristo, latest

I spoke to Lidia a few days ago. She tells me things are coming to a head there. More volunteers have come forward to make reports. The authorities have visited and the home for elderly has been closed.

The orphanage is also being closed. Twenty of the kids have been moved out and only four of the older boys are left and they are waiting to be placed. Its poor stuff for all these boys, for whom life has not been exactly a bed of roses, in the first place. Lets hope that they find a peaceful place to settle down in for the next few years.

I was looking forward to seeing them again but that's not going to be possible now. Lidia tells me that the local press and tv companies are at the gate constantly and advises against a visit, even to see the last four boys. She has invited me to visit her at her home and I'm hoping to go before I leave on Wednesday.

It's very disappointing the way things have worked out.

No comments: