Saturday, May 12, 2007

Saturdays

Saturday mornings I get up late, at 8 am. Leisurely shower and shave then stroll down Cuests san Blas for breakfast in a friendly wee cafe where I get a full English for 18 soles. About 3 Scottish pounds or the price of a coffee in Borders. Yummee. If there is no-one chatting at my table, and there usually is, I read my book. Now in Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. For which, many thanks to Chris. And I can see why you like it so much. Just your kind of story and a bit of philosophy thrown in for goo measure. Excellent choice. But I don't think I will be taking you on board as a political adviser. Lets stick to movies. Have you seen Walk the Line yet. Great scene when he plays Folsam Prison Blues for Sam the first time and the band pick up his tune.

Back to Saturday. I meander down to Plaza de Armas where I sit in the sunshine for half an hour, and get chatted to by lots of postcard sellers. Which reminds me of last Wednesday in Ynapay with Robin and Eber. I heard this wee voice calling my name but could see no-one. Then this face appears from behind another table and its a wee fellow who remembered me from La Policia. His name is Jose Antonio and he is only 9 years of age. He must have followed me into the cafe. I bought him lunch with Eber and Robin and we chatted. He said he loved the apples I bought to La Policia every day, and wanted to know if I has an apple tree. Sweet kid. He sells chiclets in the street, like little sweets. He says he does not go home till after 9 pm. Lives with mum. On leaving he tried to sell me some. Cheeky monkey.

After my rest in Plaza de Armas its off to Jesus me Luz ro visit Basilio. He is in good form today and delightlful company. We spend 30 minutes on homework, reading and maths, have a chat with Elita, who runs the orphanage, and she shows us the folder which she keeps with a record of what they have spent all my donations on. A nice moment and complete surprise. Basilio is expected to go back to live with his dad in August. I left him some money for when he moves to pay for school etc. Made another donation for rest of the kids. I will miss Basilio and I think he will miss me, but we've had good times so good memories for him and whop knows I will be back next year. Next week will be last Saturday I will see him this time round.

On leaving Jesus mi Luz I walk along Ave Grau heading for Maximo Nivel. When I'm tapped on the shoulder by Eber who has come along to see me at MN. No Robin.

Eber is with me now at MN playing games on another pc. Tomorrow is Mothers Day. We are off to buy some flowers for his mum. His idea and my money. Pennies really.

No spell check today. PC is nuts. Must go. More later on Fernando and his ongoing saga.

No comments: