Tuesday, May 01, 2007

El día de los trabajadores

My first May day away from the UK. Most people are on holiday here today. I saw a couple of workers' marches and small rallies, a bit like Edinburgh. Maximo Nivel is closed for classes but is open for volunteers and students to use the facilities. Which is what I'm doing now.

I'm not forgetting that many of my workmates in Edinburgh and elsewhere are on strike today. I did think of you all whilst I watched workers in Cusco take to the streets. I hope the day was a success and that Gordon Brown has been brought to his senses. Some hope. It grieves me to think that he is vying with Thatcher in his efforts to put us civil servants down. I fear that where Thatcher failed he will succeed, and there will be few of us left who are not in the private sector. A one day strike wont stop them, but we have to start somewhere.

I will be donating a days pay and more to the various organisations I'm involved with here in Cusco to make up for the fact that I'm here on annual leave.

Today I had my Spanish class in Jack's Cafe and treated Claudia to breakfast at 8 am. Jack's is owned by the same guy who owns the Irish Bar, Paddy O' Flaherty's. By the time we left just before 10 am they were queuing up to get in. I walk past it every night on my way home and people are always waiting to get in. Its not that good and especially when there are so many other choices available. It reminds me of my drinking days in Glasgow, which were few, of course, but those who were around may recall the queues outside some of the pubs in Byres Road. I'm sure Neil will remember if no-one else can. Maybe they still do it of course. Glaswegians are like that. Maybe the people waiting outside Jack's are from Glasgow. Will have to ask them tonight.

Other than that I was at La Policia de la Familia today as usual. No holiday for the kids there. There are lots of teenage boys there this week. Lots of aggression around. Not against me, they all seem to respect me for some reason. Maybe they like me. I had to stop a couple of fights before things got out of hand. Fortunately they accept my interventions and desist. God knows what would happen if they didn't. So I pretend to be fearless, which is not quite the case. And the police are nowhere to be seen.

I've had to be strict with Fernando to allow me time to play with these kids, which he accepts reluctantly. But at least he accepts. We play cards and dominoes and connect 4. It passes the time for them and lets them calm down and talk a little. They all want to be my friend. Which is nice but not easy to keep them all happy. I do my best but there are so many of them. Its hard enough to remember all their names from day to day.

Today I brought one of the boys some underpants as his tracksuit bottoms were split open. Which for a 13 year old with girls in the room is not easy. Needless to say he was delighted. I managed to give them to him without anyone other than F. noticing. He went away to change in the loo and he came back in a smiling boy. Amazing what a difference a small gesture makes.

Chelsea got beat, which serves Mourhinho right considering what he has been saying about our boy Ronaldo. Fergie's response was pur Fergie of course. Which is what you would expect from a Glasgow boy. "What Ronaldo has got are principles, ........... Whereas some people who are educated have no principles, so we're leaving the matter that way."

Big game tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Its on here at 1.30 pm. I've booked my seat in Nortons and cancelled all appointments.

Cienciano took a beating in Mexico, 3-0, just in case anyone is interested. A defeat but not an embarrassment. They are on the way up, though I do wonder how much the altitude here in Cusco helps them along.

Must go. Tarea to do then wee visit to see the bluesmen again all being well.

No comments: