Friday, May 18, 2007

José, Cristian and Jorge

I've worked with lots of kids in La Policia over the past few weeks and liked them all. Its hard to remember them all but some do stay in my memory for whatever reason. Mostly because they have been there longer than the rest but also because I got on so well with them, as I do with all of them really.

José has been there for a few weeks but expects to move to an orphanage today. Though he has been saying so for a few days now. I know the orphanage and will try to visit him before I leave next week if indeed he has gone. José likes to draw and has given me many drawings to take home as well as a dream catcher he made this week. I suggested he give it to Martha, another volunteer who had been helping him, but he insisted it was for me. Today he gave me another of his drawings on which he had written a message to say thanks and ended with "I will always remember you". He brought a tear to my eye and even now it moves me. He's 13 and has not had an easy life, like most of the kids there, so for him to go to the bother of writing me that message was for me one of the best things that have happened here. Its hard for me to explain to him how much it meant though I suspect he knows from my reaction.

Cristian is another boy who likes to draw for me and just gets on well with me. He did a drawing for me earlier in the week on which he had written the message, "God bless you and thank you for all your kindness to us all". Also a bit overwhelming to say the least. He's a good kid and for him to thank me on behalf of them all was a great moment. And all because I bring them a few apples every day and spend time playing and chatting to them. Brilliant kids. I wish I could do more for them.

Jorge is another boy who is no longer in La Policia de la Familia. He is also 13 years old and went home to stay with his parents again. Yesterday I had my lunch in a restaurant called Granje Heidi, which does an excellent 3 course lunch for 18 soles, about 3 pounds. I was sitting in Plaza de Armas letting relaxing in the sun before going back to MN, and minding my own business, when I saw this boy running towards me a shouting my name. Of course it was Jorge who was there selling postcards, which is a popular alternative to shoe shining. He was so pleased to see me I can hardly explain it. He'd said before he left the PF that he would come to see me at MN but I never really expected to see him there. He was sitting on the bench chatting to me and telling me about how he has to work because he has 10 younger brothers and sisters - they like big families here, good Catholic country - when a man came to talk to him. Jorge stayed facing me and did not turn round to answer the guy, who was asking him about how much money he had. Obviously up to no good. Eventually he left and I also had to leave, but he aked to come with me. As I was heading for MN I told him just to come along. I assume he wanted just to get away from the guy. I'm told there is some kind of "mafia" who control and take advantage of the children. He ended up back at MN with me and I introduced him to Heide and Eliza. He told me the man was bad to him and when I asked if he hit him he said yes. He played on the computers here for about an hour and was happy. I took him to his bus stop and sent him off home. He also goes to school at night 3 times a week, like Eber and Robin. I hope to see him again before I leave and he knows he can come to MN anytime.

No news on Fernando today. Heidi is going to Calca this weekend and will look for him.

1 comment:

CMidnight said...

Hey Don,

looks like it's all really interesting!

Thanks for putting a link to us on your site too!

Catch up soon,

Chris and Heather