Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Sacred Valley

There are many important Inca sites in The Sacred Valley. Mostly destroyed by the Spaniards and now only ruins remain, with Spanish buildings on top of most of these ruins. Much like Cusco itself. There are too many for me to visit them all. I've been to a few already, including Machu Picchu and other sites along the Camino Inca, and some last year when I went in search of Fernando.

Many people from Cusco have never visited these places, and of course most Peruvians have never been to Cusco, never mind The Sacred Valley.

I'm going on a day tour tomorrow to visit four of the most important ones. I've decided to take Eber and Robin with me. Eber and I went to meet their mother today to get her ok. Robin was using the school computers, as Saturday is one of their school days, so Eber had come to meet me on his own.

Of course mama was delighted. I'm never quite sure of the dynamics of this family. It seems to change frequently. The boys live such chaotic lives. I met a sister aged 15, whom I never knew existed. They are all very friendly to me. I just hope I don't get invited back for dinner. A refusal often offends as they say. Dad is nowhere to be seen at present and does not seem to have been around since I arrived here. They appear to have moved in with mama on a temporary basis. Which may or may not be good news.

Eber and I then went to SAS Travel in Plaza de Armas to buy our tickets. This is the company who organised and provided guides for the Camino Inca three years ago. There are still the same people running it and they are very helpful, and cheaper than the rest. Including getting the boys into the sites for free, which the other companies won't do. They will also drive us up to the ruins at Pisac, which are very high up and not included by other companies. We walk back down; which is nice. Going to Pisac and not visiting the Inca site seems daft.

Its an early morning start for a Sunday. 8.30 am and return at 6 pm. We will be visiting Pisac, Urubamba, Ollantaytambo and Chinchero. Lunch will be in Urubamba.

So while the rest of you are watching Arsenal beat Chelsea, to help Man U clinch the title for the ninth time for Fergie, I will be in The Sacred Valley. Lets hope Wenger and his crew do us all a favour. The least said about other football events this past week the better.

No comments: