Sunday, April 18, 2010

Puerto Libre

Monday morning and Ruth my Spanish teacher has just left and Veronica has just arrived. Am off to my supermercado shortly. It's called Vivandas and I guess is Lima's Waitrose. So it's just like home really, except I have to speak in Spanish of course. But they need to learn to slow down for me. Really what do they teach these guys?

Yesterday had a quiet day and watched some footie. Plenty of UK football shown on tele here, live and repeats, and I have it free in my apartment, so don't have to go to the pub to watch it, not that I've watched much, just the occasional man u game. Shame about champions league, I'm sure you will all agree, but league is still on, thanks to two great performances from Spurs. Not that I've much time for their boss man Redknapp. Not a word was said about Ross County, but it got coverage here in Lima in the press.

Been to a great museum, Museo Nacional de Arqueologia, Antropologia y Historia del PerĂº. Will need to go back as we ran out of time there.

It's in a part of Lima called Pueblo Libre, so called because Simon Bolivar and Jose San Martin lived there. They lead the liberation struggle against the Spanish when they arrived here from Venezuela and Argentina.I believe San Martin went to live when he first came here and was followed by Bolivar. The house is in fact a part of the museum and I only got to spend 10 minutes there,which is why I want to go back.

San Martin and Simon Bolivar are regarded by Peruvians as their liberators from Spanish colonial rule,as do many Latin Americanos. Bolivia was named after Bolivar and Chavez gets his Bolivarian revolution,from Bolivar's ideas.

San Martin was first to declare independence from Spain but never actually faught the Spanish in battle. Bolivar did and defeated them twice. They didn't see eye to eye. Bolivar wanted a USA style republic incorporating much of South America. His ideas were too advanced for San Martin who left the country and went to live in France.

No comments: