Thursday, April 29, 2010

Homework

Most days I help the kids with homework, at least those that come with homework to do, which many of them don't.

Jose had to describe what some people were wearing in some photos and was given a number of choices. I chuckled when I saw one of his choices was a t-shit. We of course managed to spell it correctly. I waas tempted to send a wee note to his teacher but decided against it. She, I think its a she often marks stuff as corrct when it's not. Still a little learning is better than no learning, or have I got that wrong. Did someone not used to say a little learning is a dangerous thing? Neil probably remembers.

Another time he had to write down all the books of the Old Testament. This was not English homework but religious studies of some sort. It struck me as a bit strange until I realised I had been taught them as a wee boy too, though probably in Sunday school and not in school. I can't imagine that Fury wasted any time on such things. If you don't remember who Fury was you obviously missed the 50s. But ask my wee brother as they were once acquaintances of some sort. I could manange a few but my memory failed me in my hour of need. Of course he didn't know them either and there being no bible on the premises we were kind of stuck, until one of the student volunteers from Lima offerred to help. Between us we managed to do it. Though as Morecambe said to Previn, not necesarily in the right order. And maybe not all of them. How many are there? God knows. Surely.

One of the girls, had some sums to do. I hadn't helped her before and I'd always asked her but it was always "no tengo tarea". I quickly realised why. She had no idea what to so with sums. Simple multiplication and she's 10. Didn't even understand the plus, minus, equals signs etc. So doing her homework was an impossibilty for her. Someone else always did it. We ended up with her learning the 3 times table. I told her she had to memorise before she left. She managed it. Which was nice. Only a few more tables to learn and she'll be a mathematical genius like me.

Is my spelling getting worse? My spell check on blogger is knackered.

No comments: