Sunday, October 01, 2006

Marco & Basilio

Thursday morning at La Policia de la Familia and Basilio is being dragged out by two policewomen, soon after I arrive. He tries to hide behind the beds but to no avail of course. By then he is in tears, so I stop the policewomen and put my arms round him. The police women back off and I was able to calm him down, and promised to be back tomorrow to see him. The police told me he would still be here, no problem. With that he was happy, and no longer crying.

Friday morning of course no Basilio to be seen. Marco, who had been there on Thursday told me he was sent to an orphanage. I feel as though I've let him down badly, but not much I can do about it. I will try to find out where he is now and visit him before I leave here.

Marco is a 13 year old who was in the PF on his own for two days, Friday and Saturday. He is a really nice kid and we get on well. I can try my spanish with him and he is very patient. We play card games and he likes to listen to my mp3 player. His mother is dead and his father is not around. He tells me he has brothers in Lima and a sister in Cusco. He expects to move to an orphanage soon. I dont know why he is here.

Saturday morning I took him some fruit and bread. I was told that n00o lunch would be provided for him. We played for a bit and he ate his fruit. he loves apples. I felt so bad about him being on his own that I promised to come back at night to see him. He was delighted.

When I went back Juanita gave me some quiche and rice to take to him. Fortunately she had given me enogh for two as there was another boy called Roni there by then. All they had to eat all day was rice pudding and milk. So my delivery was devoured rapidly.

Later on another boy, Juan arrived. He was a runaway from his orphanage but will go back this morning.

Then a 7 year old called Julio arrived, accompanied by his pet puppy. Guess what dog is called? Lassie. Julio is a tiny wee fellow and completely bewildered. He was just pointed into the room and left with me. I hope his mother comes to collect him.

Its now 10 am and I promised Marco to be there with some apples by 10.30, so need to go.

No comments: