Friday, October 06, 2006

Ever and Robin

Ever and Robin are two brothers aged 12 and 13 who work on the street, one as a shoe shine boy and one selling postcards. They are not street kids in the sense that they have no home to go to,but most of their waking hours are spent on the streets.

On Tuesday night they were lifted by the police in a raid of street kids. Raid is what they call it. Apparently the Mayor is not keen on tourists being harangued by these children so he asks the cops to lift them or move them elsewhere. Those they cannot get to their homes end up in La Policia de la Familia until their parents are found or they are placed somewhere.

Ever and Robins mother was not at home and could not be found so they were brought to the PF and here they remain. They are two really friendly kids who look out for each other all the time. I got on well with both of them and did my best to make things easy for them. They expected to be out the next day but no such luck for them. They were both upset and tearful on Wednesday. Ever, the youngest, wanted me to hold him but Robin kept his distance.

By Thursday they knew me quite well and we played lots of games and they really enjoyed the attention. Street kids like to pretend they are so tough but underneath it all is usually a very soft,insecure, lost little boy looking forthe afection that most kids take for granted and never have to think about. Just like most of you reading this blog.

At 11 am Thursday their mother arrived for them, and they said good bye to me. I wondered why Ever had not taken his shoe shing gear with him, but came back with it and left it under the bed. I forgor about it till an hour later when they came back to the room. I could see they were upset so went to talk to them. They told me they were to go to an orphanage next week. I asked why but they could not or would not say. This time when they both cried they looked at each other and both came to me and put their arms round me for a cuddle. I could see the affection and love they have for each other in their eyes and it was both uplifting and depressing to be inthat situation. This time Robin was not at all eluctant to come to me, for which I was glad. But its really tough trying to comfort boys their age.

They are still in the PF today and hopr to move to an orphanage next Tuesday. Ihave no idea what happened with their mother or why shedid not take the boys home.

But I cannot even begin to understand how they feel in the face of such rejection. I have seen some hard stuff in the few weeks I have been here but that level of rejection takes some matching. I will do my best over next few days t osupport them and maybe visittheir orphanage when the move.

Now they have a celtic type hug with me every time I leave. It was instigated by Ever who always wants a hug when I'm about to go. He just pulled his brother in one time and there we were the three of us in the middle of this place doing the celtic style hug. It's an amazing feeling I can tell you.

No comments: