Saturday, October 14, 2006

Ever, Robin, Basilio and Marco

Today Elena and I made a final effort to find Ever and Robin. We set off at 8.30 to visit their mother at her market stall. Lo and behold she told us that the boys have been in an orphanage for the past four days. Why the police could not tell us god only knows. Anyway Elena chatted to their mother and we have a much better understanding of their story. Needless to say its not a happy one but not for here.

We visited them at their orphanage and they were both surprised and delighted to see us. Ever jumped all over me, soon followed by Robin. They are very happy in their orphanage and seem quite settled, which is a relief. They are both talkingabout staying here for as long as they are allowed, which will be at least till they are 15. But thats one story with a reasonably happy ending. Lets hope it continues for them.

After meeting them I was allowed to take them out. They were delighted to come with me. We visited Maximo Nivel and they played the computers here. They then starred in a video which I was asked to do about my work at La Policia de la Familia. That was exciting for them and a bit of an ordeal for me, to say the least. They met some folk here and we went to a cafe before I took them back home.

I have just been to visit Basilio and he seems reasonably happy. It may not be long before they take him back to Urcos. I found it hard to say goodbye to him, but kept a brave face for him. He could hardly look at me in the end, and I think he just wanted it over. Kept asking me to come back tomorrow, but he knows its not possible.

I will be visiting Marco at 7pm tonight. They have been away for the day so could not go earlier. I had a good day with him yesterday and he was able to tell me about his home life and why he ran away. Not a happy story. He has agreed to talk to Elena about things and hopefully she will be able to follow up. Its hard for these boys to talk about what has happened to them as they find it difficult to trust anyone at all, and most have little time for them anyway.

No comments: