Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bravehearts of Lima

My last day in Villa Maria del Triunfo I bought the kids some fruit, oranges and apples, and got a round of applause from 25 kids. They all arrive about 1 pm and have their lunch. Flor chose to let them know that I had made a small donation so that she could give them a wee party at Xmas. So I got another round of applause from them. They are such a great bunch of kids. They've only known me for a short space of time but they all seemed sad to see me go.

As I was leaving some of them came along to the taxi to wave goodbye. A few piled into the taxi and wanted to come to Scotland to see William Wallace. They think we fight the english still. Maybe we do. Everybody here has seen Braveheart and it seems to be the picture they have of us. That and the bagpipes and our faldas.

The kids all wanted me to come back next year, which I promised to do. Somehow they got it in their heads that I'm coming back in January. So I guess I will just have to keep my promise to them. How could I resist such an invitation folks?

I'm so glad to have met Flor and to have been able to spend time with her and the kids. It is a privelege to have worked with them. The experience has been unforgettable for me. Reading about these kinds of places is worthwhile to to be there and to see and feel it all is a whole different sensation altogether.

These children have such hard lives, as do their parents really, yet here they come every day all smiles and playfulness and so willing to learn. Then they have to go back up the hill to god knows what. They are an inspiration to me, and I really hope to spend more time with them.

I will post some photos now. And thanks Flor for showing me around your part of the world and for all the work you do there.

No comments: