Monday, November 17, 2014

Yuri

A few years ago I had the good fortune to meet a beautiful girl called Yuri on a flight from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. We got chatting, as one does, or at least I do, and for some reason she seemed to like me and of course I liked her, so we became friends and have remained friends ever since. Yuri was at Edinburgh University doing her PhD but returned to Japan a couple of years back to be nearer family and complete her studies over there.

She has been back to Edinburgh a few times since then and has been here for the past two weeks to hand in her thesis, and we managed to meet a few times over a coffee.  Yuri returned to Japan yesterday.

On Saturday I met her to say goodbye and farewell, at least for this time.  We were able to spend a couple of hours together in a cafe near my flat at Holy Corner. Nice name that, means exactly what it says, as there's a church on every corner. Very holy. Though one of them is now a community centre named after Eric Liddell, the famous Scottish athlete.

As you can imagine it was a very emotional day for me. I tried my best keep control but this proved not to be possible and in the end I sat and cried in the window of that cafe as everyone walking by watched and stared. Well no they didn't stare but it felt that way.

Yuri, I want to thank you for all your friendship and love over the past few years, I forget how many, but lots. You are a beautiful person and I feel privileged to have got to know you. I am sure you will do well in future, I had hoped to live to see your success but that may not now be possible, but who knows.

Thank you for teaching me about your country and sharing your wisdom with me. As you know I had always hoped to visit Japan and visit some shrines and gardens with you and maybe even attend your wedding. I definitely plan to be at your graduation ceremony here in Edinburgh next summer. That is high up on the list of things I would like to achieve.

I am wearing the Buddhist Prayer Beads that Yuri gave me as I write this sitting in Caffe Nero. The beads came from Kasuga Grand Shrine and in Japan are called Juzu Prayer Beads. I know you told me the type of stone but I forget now. I shall wear or carry it at all times. I aim get to see the  Grand Shrine some day.

I know you meditate twice a day, Yuri, and you've told me you will include me in your meditations. That makes me feel good and gives me encouragement. Thank you and I hope you don't mind this public acknowledgement.

1 comment:

bambooyuri said...

Hi Donald,

I am in Japan now and have just read your blog talking about you and I having spent some time in Costa at the holy corner (I wrote it Holly corner!) the other day. Donald, this is random: I got your email letting me know that my name is on your blog today for a couple of minutes before and strangely enough, I was thinking about you at that time (honestly). I opened the email box because I thought about you and I found that I received your email! Something is definitely there, I think.
Thank you very much for your writing about me so nicely on your blog and all the friendship and love you shared with me. It always makes me very happy and makes Edinburgh even more special to me. I will phone to Kasuga Grand Shrine to ask what the name of the stone for Juzu bracelet is and get back to you. The recipe book, also.
I will see you when I get back to Edinburgh next year sometime (most likely to be June or July for the graduation) and we will stay in touch.
Of course, I am praying and intending to send energy to you every time I meditate. I even say it aloud.
I will write to you soon, Donald.
I hope that our pray is soothing your body even it is a little.

Yuri xxx