Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday

Saturday morning and I've been up since 7 o'clock. My dawn chorus here is the noise coming from the rail shunting yard nearby which fortunately coincides with my getting up time, though of course one would prefer a more avian type chorus such as I'm blessed with in Edinburgh.

I've been watching the Man U game since 9 o'clock which I guess means a 4 o'clock kick off back in Manchester. Chicharito missed a penalty after 5 minutes but we're now three up and Powell has come on for Giggs and Van Persie for Scholes. Very satisfactory. I see Arsenal are going well this season. Wonder what Van Persie will think if they win the league this year?  Powell has just scored a goal which Scholes himself would be proud of and Buttner has his first.

Last night I took a taxi home from La Plaza as it was a bit late and don't like to walk home much later than 9.30 or so, unles I've got company. Taximan was as per usual in a hurry.  I keep telling the taxi drivers that it's quicker going down Ave El  but they see to think they know best so they go another route.

This takes us round the back way and along a very narrow one way street with tall buildings either side so it seems as if the buildings are crowding in on top of you. Can't remember what it's called.  It has a pavement (sidewalk) down the left which is no more than a ledge really but folk still walk along it. Along the other side the pavement is a little bigger, maybe about two feet or so.

The Spaniards didn't think of Peruvian taxis when they built on top of old Inca streets. This particular street is always busy with pedestrians on both sides, and there's a club or disco half way along so at night it's even busier. This doesn't cause my taximan to go any slower as he belts along swerving round the pedestrians as we go even though he can see a queue of cars at the end waiting to hit the main drag.

Once we hit the main road we are diverted by the traffic cops and go another way altogether which takes us right into what seems to be a riot going on. Streets are crowded with people and still we go full steam ahead. We hit another queue of traffic, mostly other taxis which he tries to overtake going into oncoming traffic and when this doesn't work he goes inside, nearly taking out a few rioters (as I thought they were).

I asked him what was going on and turns out it was a rock concert crowd waiting to get in or maybe coming out, but in any case very excited. Meantime a policeman on a motorbike is riding alongside us telling this guy to hurry along even though we were in a line of traffic. Father Ted came to mind as I'm thinking to myself  why are you telling this mad fecking fecker to go any faster? But your man gave it a shot as I knew he would.

We eventually reached a street I knew and we were home safely. I was in such a state of excitement myelf I gave the guy a one sol tip for his heroic efforts. This is a lot as taxis here do not get tips as a rule.

I'm off to get a Peruvian haircut now and meet a pal at two o'clock. Man U have won and Stoke have managed an excellent draw with City. So happy days. ps I have some news for  USA readers regarding Pentwater so look out for that as I know some of  you have been know to spend time there.


No comments: