Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Padre Donald

The boy with no name is still at La Policia de la Familia, but is now called Antonio, but still no contact from parents or anyone else. That's him in the photo with another volunteer who is helping out there too. He's a lovely wee chap and seems content enough. Hopefully he will be found a place in a good orphanage soon, with lots of love and care on the go.

Guido is still with us. Goodness knows where he will end up. He says he is very bored which is no surprise really. He's been stuck there for a long time, weeks in fact. He seems to have toned down his aggression. He's a very bright intelligent boy. Whenever we play memory games he always wins. I get them to read some poems to each other from a book I bought for them which consists of poems about Peru and its history etc. He can read a poem beautifully and next day he will remember some lines from it. Such a shame his life chances are so restricted. Lets hope he will meet someone who can help him achieve a little of his potential.

That's him in the middle of the game of twister. And yes I know there shouldn't be three of them playing all at once, but the boys make their own rules which they like, and game ends with a total collapse and no winner, which amuses them.

I met the man who paints The Stadium of Light the other day in some cafe where I was helping him make his order. That's where Sunderland FC play for those not acquainted with English Premier League. He tells me he's met Steve Bruce who was very amiable and chatty, but he's not yet had the pleasure of meeting the saintly Martin. So that's a nice job to have. He's in Peru with his wife to do the Inca Trail, but he was suffering badly from the altitude. I told him he needs about four or five days to acclimatise, so fact he was off to the trail next day didn't seem too encouraging. I didn't know when I told him five days that he was off the next day. Geordies are softies don't you think?

My hairdresser here in Cusco is called Juan. When he heard my name he told me he knew one other Scottish Donald, except he was a priest called Padre Donald. Takes his confessions etc. So good to see that us Scots and especially the Donalds are doing our bit. I guess he will be a Celtic supporter so will look out for him tomorrow watching the gemme in some Irish bar.

No comments: