Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pentwater

Pentwater is a small town on the east coast of Lake Michigan where Michigan folk like to spend their summers and where I spent a few days some years back with my US cousins and their families. I went to a wedding there and also had an excellent swim in the Lake. Though no one else wanted to join me. Which reminds me I've yet to swim in the Pacific Ocean, which I should do seeing as I've swum in the Atlantic Ocean, The North Sea (at Kieran's instigation I hasten to add, almost drowned me the so and so) and in the Med. Mind you the waters off Miraflores are not exactly inviting so may have to do my Pacific swimming elsewhere.

Anyway to get back to Michigan and my Pentwater story, I was chatting to one of my Spanish classmates who comes from Chicago and telling her about my visit to her fine city and how much I enjoyed it and hoped to go back one day. I mentioned that we had gone up to a place called Pentwater after our days in Chicago and wondered if she knew it, and to my astonishment not only did she know it, but she has spent all her summers up there. 

Her family have been going there since the early seventies, I'm not sure if they own a place there, like my US cousins, but probably they do. 

I know there are a few people who read my blog from time to time who have very strong connections to Pentwater, life changing connections for one or two of you, I would say. So maybe you know this young lady and her family. Just in case you do her name is Sarah Klaiber, and her father is a friend of Johnny Schwarz and his brothers, who are apparently a well known clan in the town. 

I reckon that must be getting close to the six degrees of separation theory, though I don't quite know how to get to Kevin Bacon from here, nevertheless it's a strange and pleasantly enjoyable coincidence  at least for the purposes of this post. 

I would love to hear from those of you with Pentwater connections if you have heard about or know these folk. And Don K when are you bringing your mum to Scotland? 


No comments: