Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hotel Bolivar, Lima

Hemingway stayed here as did Orson Welles and John Wayne, who it seems married a Peruvian high society woman. I probably slept in Hemingway,s bed, which was nice, as he himself would have said, I,m sure.

The hotel was splendid, full of character, a little run-down and in need of a lick of paint, but very comfortable, and the staff were very friendly too. So I decided to stay a bit longer than planned. All the web sites I checked said how dangerous Lima central is, but I felt quite safe and had no bother at all.

The place is full of history of course. I had a guide for my first morning and she took me to see the Congress building, which is their parliament. She introduced me to a congressman and a congresswoman, who shooks hands with me, and yes I did use my right arm. I didn,t think a left hand shake would go down too well and after all I was representing my country. Anyway no harm done, they shook gently. They welcomed me to their country and invited me to join the government, but I had to decline as I was going to be busy for a few days.

I spent a morning getting a free personal tour of the Museum of the Inquistion. Free because they do hourly English tours and no-one else showed up. The girl refused to accept a tip as it would cost her her job. It was a gruesome trip.

My main memory of Lima is the polution, which fair takes your breath away, literally. Despite this I managed to get my head sun-burnt, at least my bald bits. Its ok now, only lasted one day.

No comments: