Saturday, September 27, 2008

Diane

I was walking along the road to my apartment and saw this woman walking towards me carrying a huge piece of chocolate cake on a plate. As we passed she stopped to explain that the lovely lady who runs the cafe had made this cake and she was just taking it back to her hotel to consume in piece. We got to chatting and ended up going for dinner the next night in Trotamundos cafe.

We spent a pleasant evening chatting away. She's travelled most of her life and spent 20 years working as a mountain guide in the Himalayas. She now owns a house in Romania, though she is from USA. Has no plans to go back there, except to visit her aging mother. She plans to go back to Romania to work with some women there. Aparently older women in those parts get a shit deal all round.

We got to talking politics as one does but when she claimed not to know anything about USA involvement in South America I decided not to pursue the subject. I don't think my views would have gone down too well and best not to spoil things over a few CIA criminal activities.

We decided to meet again on Saturday morning as she was taking me to a market where a Peruvian woman makes special fruit juices to order. She checks your pulse and then decides whats best for you. Sounded like a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

Unfortunately I was too ill to leave my bed that morning so never made it. Fortunately I bumped into Diane later in the week and she was fine about it. I will call her at her hotel next week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, young Donald. "best keep politics out the equation".

You don't want to have to explain that Neil Kinnock tattoo do you?