Friday, November 15, 2013

An explosion

A week now since I had my operation, in fact it's eight days and today is first day I have felt up to writing or indeed fit enough to do so. I'm writing this on my iPhone so no editing or corrections as it's too much hassle. So any repetition, deviation or hesitation Is the phone's fault and nothing to do with me. 

The operation was a success and Mr Speake is very happy with how things have gone apart from one or two minor things which he says are not a concern for him. He decided yesterday that he wanted a CT scan to make sure there are no leaks in the join he made in my rectum. Not only did he order the scan but he came to the ward and accompanied me to the scan room and showed them exactly what he wanted. He then waited for the scan to be done and went with the radiologist to read it. They spent some time on it and he then came back to the ward to give me the report. I've never met a consultant before quite like him prepared to walk along the corridor with his patient in a wheelchair to the faraway x ray department. He is truly exceptional. I feel so safe in his hands I could stay for as long as he wants me to. 

Every day he comes to see me at least twice and the rest of his team are equally solicitous and also very pleasant. His assistant in the operating theatre was Dr Khan but she's been off mostly since I had my op, until yesterday when she came to see me and I was able to thank her. That was the first time I'd met her so it was good to see someone who had got to know me so intimately. 

Wednesday night was a difficult night as I developed a high temperature and got the shakes real bad. I'd had to have the catheter put back as I wasn't emptying my bladder sufficiently so it was back to catheter days for me. So there I was lying in bed with a doctor on one side trying to get a needle into my arm with not much success and I'm thinking there's something not right here and sure enough my stoma chose this moment to inflate itself into a giant balloon and began leaking down my pyjama trousers. So suggested to doc it would need fixed urgently. I'm in a feverish state and not a little confused and finding it hard to get the right words to come out of my mouth in the right order as the great man said about the notes as he taught the other fellow to play the tune. Having worked out what was happening I then had two nurses and the doctor seeing to me. I couldn't stand up without support and by now my pjs are in a state. So there I was surrounded by three women, a catheter hanging down from my penis, an exploding stoma bag and stark naked. I don't think I've ever felt worse. Completely alone, confused and upset beyond belief. Fortunately the nurses and doc were great and soon had me shipshape and back in bed. 

That's lunch arrived .... 

No comments: