Friday, December 14, 2012

Spanish Classes

I've been going to the same Spanish class for the past few years on a Tuesday night. I don't mean that it's been the same class repeated over and over again. That would be stupid.

I know lots of folk in Edinburgh go to classes but I reckon this class is different. Out teacher is called Marian and is Spanish, from near Pamplona I think, but now lives here with her family. I'm pleased to say that Marian has become a good friend. Her classes are not like any other classes I've ever attended. They are more of a social, cultural event every Tuesday night with some Spanish thrown in as a bit of a bonus. You would have to be there to appreciate it.

Like myself a lot of students come back every year as they too have become friends with Marian and each other. There is Neville, who is a bit of a mountaineer and has done all The Munros, twice, and also climbed in the Andes. For those who don't know, The Munros are all the mountains in Scotland over three thousand feet (914 metres). To do all once is impressive, but to do them twice is above and beyond the call of duty. I've climbed twelve of them, so only another 270 to go. Neville has promised to take me up one or two next year, so don't forget Neville.

Then there's Jean who is a Camino Santiago obsessive, and has walked most if not all of it and keeps going back. She likes to walk solo and meet people on the way. Jean also leads walking tours around Edinburgh's hidden gardens, which I plan to do with her next year. And then there's Anna, who is a potter and is very funny, and sometimes throws in a bit of French, just to confuse us all.

So this post is by way of a thank you to Marian for all the good times and fun over the years. It's a great class, and my Spanish seems to be coming on nicely too, thank you very much. I feel this post should have been written in Spanish. I will write a post in Spanish soon.

Marian has had a poem written for her by Tom Pow, who is one of Scotland's leading and best poets, which I rather like and will share with you. I'm sure Tom wont mind.

I see I now have a reader in Bolivia. I suspect I know who you are. So good luck Iain Macive over there in La Paz. I hope you make it to Cusco and Machu Picchu.




No comments: