Sunday, December 09, 2012

GIFTED- The Edinburgh Book Sculptures

I went to the Scottish Poetry Library on Friday to see the exhibition of miniature sculptures which were left at various venues around Edinburgh during 2011.  The first one was left at the Poetry Library in March 2011 and the last one in the same venue in November 2011, except that, much to their surprise another one arrived on the morning of my visit, which of course was causing much excitement and celebration. It had just been opened and was laid out on a table in the library as they had not had time to add it to the exhibition, which will end on eighth of this month anyway.

I was equally excited to be a wee part of Scottish cultural history in the making.... well almost. I'm sure you know what I mean.

The exhibition itself is superb. The sculptures were produced by a mysterious anonymous artist and they are beautiful, exquisite pieces all with a Scottish literary theme featuring various Scottish writers, old and new.

She, for I suspect the anonymous artist is female, though for no good reason, is obviously a fan of Ian Rankin, who is himself a big fan of RLS (especially Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde).The one that arrived on Friday features a poem from RLS, "To My Mother" : "You too my mother read my rhymes, For love of unforgotten times, And you may chance to hear once more, The little feet along the floor."

I believe all the pieces now go back to where they were originally left by the artist, such as the Writers Museum, Edinburgh Filmhouse, Edinburgh Central Library, National Museum and the Book Festival. And of course the Poetry Library, who now have three of them. Which I hope they will keep on display. So that would be best place to start for anyone wishing to see them.

I love the mystery surrounding these sculptures and I hope she (or he) keeps up the good work. I did think at one time I would like to know the identity of the artist, but I've decided that it's best not to know. Let the mystery abide.

No comments: